Most turtles eat insects, fish, and leafy greens. You can also buy turtle food and frozen worms. Adult turtles do not need to be fed every day.
Turtles need a tank that has water to swim in and a place to climb out of the water. You must have a water filtration system to help keep the water clean.
Most pet turtles live anywhere from 20 to 50 years. Having a turtle for a pet is a very important decision to make.
Taking Care of Your Turtle
· There are 270 types of turtles and some make better pets than others. Make sure to do your research!
· Turtles carry bacteria called salmonella that can make humans and other animals sick. It is very important to wash your hands after holding a turtle.
· Even turtles that live in the water need a place to go on land.
· Never release a pet turtle into the wild.
Visiting the Veterinarian
Your turtle should be taken to the vet once a year for a checkup. You will need to choose a veterinarian that works with reptiles.
· Tortoises are similar to turtles but they live on land.
· Most turtles live in water, but not all of them!
· Male turtles usually have longer tails than female turtles.
· Turtles can recognize their owners and many swim to the surface to say hello.