Different kinds of lizards need different foods. Buying lizard food is the easiest way to make sure your lizard gets all the vitamins it needs. You can also offer sprouts and vegetables like cabbage and carrots. Some lizards will eat grapes and apples cut into bite size pieces. Lizards that eat insects need crickets, mealworms, and caterpillars. Make sure to give your lizard water daily.
Lizards need an aquarium called a vivarium. A vivarium is an aquarium for cold blooded reptiles that includes heat and light. Climbing surfaces can also help your lizard explore and hide.
Small lizards live 3-5 years, medium lizards live 5-15 years, and large lizards can live to about 20 years.
Taking Care of Your Lizard
· It’s important for your lizard to stay warm. Keeping the cage at a minimum of 80 degrees with an area that is 95 degrees can help a lizard stay warm.
· Lizards need to eat every day. Lizards that eat insects will also need vitamins.
· You can tell if a lizard is feeling sick if they are not eating properly.
Visiting the Veterinarian
It is recommended that a lizard goes to see a reptile veterinarian at least once a year for a checkup.
· Some popular pet lizards are bearded dragons, leopard geckos, and skinks.
· Many lizards can lose their tail and it will grow back without any bone!
· Lizards smell by tasting the air.
· Some horned lizards can squirt blood from their eyes.